- Chief Editor: Transactions of The Indian Institue of Metals (Since August 2003)
- Editor: International Materials Reviews, (1995-2008)
- Member: International Review Board, Metallurgical and Materials Transactions, (Since 1996)
- Member: International Review Board, Materials Engineering and Performance, (Since 1995)
- Member: Technical Books Committee, ASM International (1998-2007)
- Member, GTMAP Programme Structural Materials committee
- Technical Advisor, MIDHANI Hyderabad
- Member, SERB, Mining, Metals, Metallurgy committee.
FELLOWSHIP/MEMBERSHIP OF ACADEMIC BODIES
- TOTAL NUMBER OF NOMINEE'S PUBLICATIONS: 400
- (International and National Journals : 250 + International and National Conference Proceedings: 150)
- EDITED BOOKS AND INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS : 8
- Fellow: Indian Academy of Sciences
- Fellow: ASM International
- Fellow: Indian National Academy of Engineering
- Life Fellow: The Indian Institute of Metals
- Life Member: The Indian Institute of Welding
- Life Member: Materials Research Society of India
- Life Member: Powder Metallurgy Association of India
- Platinum Medal Award, The Indian Institute of Metals, 2016, For Outstanding contributions to Metallurgical Engineering Profession, Research and IIM.
- National Metallurgist Award, (Research and Academia, Ministry of Steel, 2012), for Significant contributions towards the development of Structural, core and steam generator materials for fast breeder reactors, in the research areas of creep, fatigue, and creep-fatigue interactions in steels and superalloys and in the development of fibre-reinforced composites for aerospace applications.
- G.D. Birla Gold Medal : The Indian Institute of Metals, 2004, For Outstanding and sustained Research Contributions over a long period in Metallurgy and Materials Engineering.
- Best Metallurgist Award for the year 1995 from the Ministry of Steel Government of India for outstanding contributions in the areas of Low Cycle Fatigue, Creep-Fatigue Interactions and Structure-Property Correlations
- Materials Research Society of India Medal Award for the year 1997
- Binani Gold Medal for the year 1989 from the Indian Institute of Metals for the best paper published in the Transactions of IIM in Non-Ferrous Category.
- SAIL Gold Medal for the year 1999 from the Indian Institute of Metals for the best paper published in the Transactions of IIM in Ferrous Category
- SAIL Gold Medal for the year 2004 from the Indian Institute of Metals for the best paper published in the Transactions of IIM in Ferrous Category
- NASA (U.S.A) Appreciation Award in 1994 for Meritorious Accomplishments in Aerospace Materials Research and achieving excellence by conducting the projects of importance to the Nation
- NASA Lewis Research Center, Cleveland, Best Paper Award in Fatigue Research, 1994
- I.T. Mirchandani Memorial Research Award by the Indian Institute of Welding for the best research paper published in the proceedings of National Welding Seminar 1989
- H.D. Govindraj Memorial Research Award by the IIW for the year 1989
- D &H Secheron Best Paper Presentation Award of IIW for the year 1992
- Nucor Award of IIW for the year 1997
- Sri Venkataraman Sundaram Trust Award (IGCAR-Kalpakkam) for the Best Research Work in Basic Sciences for 1998-1999
- Best Oral Presentation Paper Award of IIM, 1992 and 1996
- G.S. Tendulkar Prize for Best Oral Presentation, IIM, 2005
- Best Poster Paper Award of IIM, 1987, 1989 and 1994
- Best Paper Award of MRSI, 1999